Senior Engineer or Principal Engineer
The Metropolitan Council's is seeking to hire an Engineer in the Environmental Services Division.
This position is for a Senior or Principal Engineer in the Technical Services Department to help manage capital projects and provide facilities engineering services for its wastewater treatment plants, with near-term focus on renewal projects at the Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant located in St. Paul, Minnesota. The following is a list of examples of the types of work included in plant projects:
- Renew aeration tank air systems.
- Monitor and evaluate wear and corrosion issues to determine recommended mitigation and replacement strategies.
- Install scum concentration and storage to facilitate incineration of scum for energy production.
- Route 36" diameter sewer force main through plant.
- Implement effluent water reuse.
Hiring Range: See below
Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES): Our Environmental Services division is nationally renowned for its superior work treating wastewater, monitoring air and water quality, and planning for a long-range water supply to meet future demand.
To find out how the Metropolitan Council serves the Twin Cities region, please click here. Examples of Duties
- Develops project scopes and implements needed capital projects.
- Prepares requests for proposals for consultant engineering services and manages consultant contracts.
- Conducts engineering studies and evaluations
- Provides project engineering and leadership on projects of moderate complexity:
- Prepares and manages project budgets and schedules.
- Prepares designs, plans and specifications.
- Processes payments and change orders.
- May manage several projects concurrently.
- Prepares a variety of written materials, including engineering reports, facility planning reports and presentations.
- Performs other related duties
- Manages complex, multi-disciplinary projects that require coordination with internal groups, the general public, and regulatory agencies:
- Anticipates potential problem areas.
- Identifies and implements measures to maintain budgets and schedules.
- Plans and speaks at public hearings and meetings.
- Provides leadership in facilitating the activities of project teams. Works with operations and maintenance groups to establish project goals and expectations.
- Performs other related duties.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering in the related area of discipline
- Four (4) years of related experience as an Engineer.
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE) or Registered as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Minnesota or a state with reciprocity. PE may be required for some positions. Note: FE exam replaces the former Engineering in Training (EIT) exam.
- Bachelor' degree in Engineering in the related area of discipline.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Minnesota or a state with reciprocity.
- Seven (7) years of related experience as an Engineer OR two (2) years' experience as a Registered Professional Engineer
Knowledge of wastewater processes and hydraulics. Project Manager or project engineer for planning, design or construction of three (3) or more water or wastewater treatment plant projects with total construction cost value greater than $10 million dollars.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering principles in areas of functional responsibility.
- Knowledge of tools and techniques for planning and managing projects.
- Professional judgment and independent evaluation, selection, adaptation, and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedure and criteria.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common technical information.
- Ability to effectively communicate and present technical information.
- Human relation skills sufficient to influence, instruct, and negotiate with individuals to gain their understanding, cooperation and action.
- Microsoft Office applications.
Classification Level: Senior Engineer
Union: AFSCME Grade H
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hiring Range: $68,078 to $71,614
Full Salary Range: $68,078 to $96,595
Classification Level: Principal Engineer
Union: AFSCME Grade I
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hiring Range: $73,611 to $77,7488
Full Salary Range: $73,611 to $104,416
The majority of time, work is performed in a standard office setting. Conducting field inspections and performance of duties at off site locations as required. Some positions may require work to be performed at off site work locations (e.g., field inspections) where the position may be exposed to moving parts, fumes, airborne particles, outdoor weather conditions and vibration. Confined space entry at industry and various facilities is required.
The responsibilities listed are typical of the positions included in the job classification; however, not all duties are necessarily performed by each specific position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the position. Regular attendance is an essential responsibility.
All employment offers are conditional upon a review and verification of education, employment and driving record (if applicable) as well as passing a pre-employment drug-screen for new hires.
Offers are also conditioned upon passing a criminal background check for new hires. Convictions are not an automatic disqualification from the selection process. The Metropolitan Council considers felony, gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions on a case-by-case basis. Convictions are reviewed based upon the relatedness of the conviction to duties of the position as well as a candidate's ability to demonstrate adequate rehabilitation.
Metropolitan Council employees who are applying for positions which are Safety Sensitive; supervisory/managerial; located in Finance, Information Services (IS) or Human Resources; or have access to financial records, files/databases, cash, vouchers or transit fare cards will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Please note: Making a false statement or withholding information (misrepresentation) may cause an applicant to be barred from consideration for the position.
The Metropolitan Council is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please notify Human Resources at 651-602-1398.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities