Canterbury Park is now hiring seasonal Cooks who shares our values and passion in the hospitality industry to join our growing team. We offer an exciting and unique atmosphere with competitive pay, as well as an opportunity to develop and enhance your culinary skills. Canterbury Park provides a 24/7 full service kitchen, seasonal restaurant, and year round catering services.
*All selected appliants will have an opportunity for FT or PT employment at the end of their seasonal role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide customers high quality products prepared in a professional and timely manner.
- Working with ovens, grills, fryers and other industrial equipment
- Be able to read and follow recipes
- Basic math skills required
- Monitor food for rotation, freshness and safety
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness including but not limited to the cleaning of equipment as well as general tasks such as wiping tables, sweeping and mopping floors
- Responsible for banquet, bulk, and ala carte menu production. Includes both hot and cold preparation.
- To follow the established recipes while preparing all menu items.
- Check par levels on all products each day.
- Notify Executive Chef, Sous Chef, Supervisor, or Lead of any items that are low or out of stock.
- Ensure that proper sanitation procedures are followed at all time.
- At the end of your shift make sure all food is stored correct and in accordance with the kitchen guidelines.
- Banquet positions may require work in front of the public and cooks must keep their uniforms and stations clean and presentable. Adherence to safety protocols is required.
- Expected to assist in all areas of Food & Beverage Department when needed.
- Responsible for a clean and organized work area
- Understanding of seasonings and a range of culturally diverse foods is helpful, as is knowledge of food allergens and their substitutes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED, minimum 1 year of culinary experience in cold and hot bulk food preparation; which includes entrees, sauces, soups, salads and dressings.
- Communication: Reading orders, understand instructions and communicate with co-workers to make sure food is delivered hot and delicious
- Teamwork: We employ a large kitchen team that needs to work together and create a consistent and pleasing dining experience for our guests.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Self- motivated and dependable.
- Able to multitask with good attention to detail.
- Canterbury Park conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check and verification of work history.
- Must be able to attain a Minnesota Racing Commission (MRC) license.
- Strong leadership skills preferred.
Working Conditions and General Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Flexibility of schedule is required. Available to work days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Stamina: This position requires frequent standing and walking. Able to lift 30-50 pounds
- Hand-eye Coordination: Proficient and accurate handling a knife and working in close quarters with others near industrial equipment
- Kitchen work is fast paced and high stress with high temperatures, lots of people and loud noises.
Canterbury Park is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.